thumbnail view

Friday, April 14, 2017

Gary's Starter

The simple Story of Uncle Gary's Starter

About 1 year ago was when I was going to get back into making Sourdough Breads and I mentioned it to my Uncle, and he said he had a Potato Sourdough Starter that he has been using for over 30 years now. I told him I would like to have some of it to add to my arsenal of Different Starters.

About 2 months later I get a call from my Uncle that he was down from salmon, id and brought be a couple of cups of his starter for me to have. I jumped in my car and drove over to Grandma's house to see her, Gary and get the starter he brought down with him from Salmon.

After talking with him turns out about 30 years ago he got it from good solid friends named Alice and Herold Hansen. Turns out they made it some 20 years before my uncle got it, so now I have a starter that is over 50 years old.

I just wanted to take the time to say where I got the sourdough starter from that I use on occasion when making breads and muffins.